Jackman Flats (#13 on hiking map)
- Difficulty: Easy/Medium
- Warnings: Some deadfall (fallen trees) on the trail (but can walk around). Check social media feeds below for current trail status updates
- Wheelchair accessible: no
- High-clearance 4×4 advised to access trailhead? no
- Best seasons: spring, summer, fall, winter (cross-country ski)
Pine Tree Trail (loop) 1.4 km / 0.9 Mi
Lichen Loop 2.3 km / 1.4 Mi
Juniper Trail 3.4 km / 2.1 Mi
Big Dune Trail 6.2 km / 3.9 Mi
- Approx. time: 30 mins (Pine Trail) to 2 hours (Big Dune) depending on the trail
- Elevation gain: some mild hills but minimal
- Steepest grade: steepest is 30% on Big Dune; otherwise mild hills
- Viewpoints: Nice mountain views of the Premier Range and Mica Mountain
- Geocache points Unknown
- Closest bathroom/outhouse: Outhouse near parking area
- Cell service? Signal in most areas (not all service providers cover the Robson Valley!).
- Gear to bring: Bring 1L water/pp and mosquito spray.
- How to access/where to park: Watch for the turn-off on Hwy 5 approx. 12.5km north of Valemount Google Directions from Info Centre
- Best Parts: These are relatively flat trails, hot and sandy. Beautiful mountain views and interesting lichen ecosystems. Interpretive signs along the trails. Trails are well-marked. In winter, trails are trackset for cross-country skiing and no dogs are allowed.
- Worst Parts: Because of all the dead pine trees, there is often deadfall on the trail. The mosquitoes can also be bad during the summertime, except during the heat of the day- but nothing a little mosquito spray or net shirt can’t handle!
Jackman Flats consists of four interlocking trails – Pine Tree, Lichen, Juniper and Big Dune. These are relatively flat trails, hot and sandy in summer. Beautiful mountain views and interesting lichen ecosystems. The lichen crush easily underfoot so stay on the trail. There are interpretive signs along the well-marked trails. In winter, the trails are trackset for cross-country skiing and no dogs are allowed. Because of all the dead pine trees, there is often deadfall you have to detour around. The mosquitoes can also be bad during the summertime, except during the heat of the day- but nothing a little mosquito spray or net shirt can’t handle!
See full screen map
Elevation change profile (Metres and Km). Click to expand.
(This profile includes ALL the Jackman trails combined)
Please use the #jackmanflats hashtag and let us know about the trail’s conditions.
Save this page for offline viewing by clicking on the printer symbol below, adjusting the map, then right clicking ->print->save as pdf OR by clicking on the print symbol, adjusting the map, then hitting “save for offline viewing” on a mobile device. Or save this hike to your list for viewing later!